8/24/2009

Crithammer. Naurun. A Seaside Villa

I was first treated with suspicion when I entered Old Pirate Bay (now defunct). "Promise not to grief?" I spent 5 minutes swearing up and down that I would tear apart another's creations. I was immediately swallowed into a prison only large enough to stand when I first entered the bay. I didn't plead or get angry, but instead I just talked to my unknown interrogator like a normal human being.

My interrogator turned into a buddy and one-time tour guide named Crithammer. He showed me around Old Pirate Bay, and I had seen the creations of other players for the first time. Pirate schooners, galleons, and clippers flocked to the bay. Gigantic video game sprites stalked the horizon and islands floated high above. To this very day, every server I enter becomes a surreal world containing the wonderful, strange, and bizzare.

Yeah, that sounds a bit dramatic and artsy fartsy. What the fuck ever. It's not everyday you see a huge rainbow gay cube or floating house. That's surreal (or absurd), whether you like it or not. =)

We talked for a long time about the builders, griefers, and Minecraft ettiquette. I thanked him for his time and left.

I spend increasing amounts of time working on Naurun, which is a huge fantasy world on single player. Here, I have the freedom to build as I wish without fear of interlopers or griefers. I can do as I please. Thus far, I am building a castle atop a lake, and a nearby town. There are some other features I plan to add, including dungeons, tombs, and secrets.

My naivete was broken when I spent a great deal of time building a seaside villa on another server. It was complete with two balconies, two bedrooms, an office, a living room, arched high ceiling over a 7 seater dining table, expansive kitchen, and wraparound deck. The garden in front opens up to a path that leads down and around the villa, out onto a private beach below. I was proud of this creation that I had spent so much time on.

This was my first run-in with griefers. Several losers who spend most of their day playing with their balls stopped by to systematically take apart the pretty little home on the cliff.

I suppose this is a lesson of permanence and karma. I don't have to state the obvious about nothing is permanent, yadda yadda yadda... but I take things way too seriously. I bid the griefers farewell, wishing them a long, drawn-out death, and departed.

Tomorrow, I build.

No comments:

Post a Comment